Wednesday, October 6, 2010

1127 - Superboy 193 - War Between the Nights and the Days!

Index Number – 1127 - 1.0
Issue – Superboy 193
Cover Date – February 1973
Title – War Between the Nights and the Days!
Characters – Brainiac 5, Chameleon Boy, Duo Damsel, Karate Kid, Matter-Eater Lad, Shrinking Violet
Synopsis – The Legion must help negotiate peace on the planet Pasnic, which’s hemispheres are in perpetual light or dark.
Writer – Cary Bates / Idea from Nick Pascale
Artist – Dave Cockrum / Dave Cockrum
Editor – Murray Boltinoff
Reprinted – Legion of Super-Heroes Archive 10 – 2000
Comments – In Adventure Comics 403 (not indexed) , a reprint collection of Legion tales, a few of the many costumes submitted by fans were featured. Sone of these outfits have been used in the Superboy run. But in this issue, a costume designed for Duo Damsel earned a writing credit for Nick Pascale. Nick’s costume was half purple, half orange, which became separate purple and orange outfits where she used her power. Cary Bates made the costume the feature of the story, and named the planet Pasnic.

2 comments:

  1. It wasn't Cary who made her costume a part of the story it was me, Nicholas "Nick" POascale. After my costume got a lead feature in The Legion Annual (Adventure #403). I spoke to E. Nelson Bridwell about the need to show the fans costumes in action. He said come up with the plot and we will see. This was during the Viet-Nam War Era. A Public Service spot against the war showed leaders not soldiers fighting the war! "Imagine if it were world leaders fighting the war, it would be over soon and not many moure of our men would die!" A man that looked like the president and an asian man go for the red button, ad over.
    That was the spring board for my story.
    Originally Duo Damsel was to wear both her orange and purple outfits leading up to the drama of them combining at the end of the story.
    I based her design on an harliquin's outfit.
    I studied at the High School of Art & Design I was a Theatrical Costume Design Major, and knew many comic book illustrators, in fact both Frank Brunner and Larry Hama took me under their wings and took me to my first of many DC Thursday Tours! (Something that was used in Inferior 5 #6)
    Cary and I sat down in the DC Work Room and discussed the story. (The oft mentioned robo sewing machine was to be seen but cut and only spoken about.)
    I named the planet after myself Nic for NICholas and PAS for PAScale then reversed it to spell Pasnic. The Kings were named after my father JOhN Nicholas Pascale and my mom LILLian Taormina Pascale.
    Dave Cockrum called me in to re-design her boots, I remembered a pair of boots worn by Nancy Sinatra and modeled them after them!
    In an interview he was worried I didn't get credit for the costumes! BUT I did in Adventure #403!
    He even said at many conventions it was that story and my designs that gave way to many artists to redesign costumes and not in the CURT SWAN fashion!
    I did many more things for DC Throuh the years! Including Superfriends and helping to create the SUPERMAN's FAMILY TREE!
    I enjoyed watching her costume change slightly over the years and more so upon seeing in in the morning cartoon show, and most recently in the Legion/Adventure run!
    Now do you getyour name from LORI LEMARIS the first DC Mermaid and Lana Lang Superman's 1st girlfriend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the additional information. This is the kind of event I was hoping for when I started this blog. I admitthat at the time, I did not like the costume, since I thought it took away from her ability to act as a spy. But variations of the design have been in use through many realities and even on television, so I might have misjudged its value.

    You are correct about my professional name. My real name, Jerro Malverne, is too embarassing.

    ReplyDelete